The ideal body weight for men is often associated with a well-shaped body. In fact, having an ideal body weight can help prevent various health problems.
When you are overweight, you run the risk of being obese. Obesity can increase the risk of serious health problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, gallstones, heart disease, stroke, cancer, arthritis, high cholesterol, respiratory problems, and so on.
On the other hand, if you are underweight, you are likely to experience a weakened immune system, baldness, anemia, malnutrition, and fertility problems.
Formula to Calculate Ideal Body Weight for Men
You can use the body mass index (BMI) calculation. This calculation divides your weight (in kilograms) by your height (in meters squared).
For example, your weight is 80 kg and your height is 170 cm. To calculate your BMI, you need to divide 80 by 1.70 squared. You will get a BMI of 27.6.
After getting your BMI results, you perform an assessment of your nutritional status based on the following categories:
- Underweight: if the BMI is less than 18.5
- Normal: if the BMI is between 18.5 – 22.9
- Overweight: if the BMI is at 23 – 24.9
- Obese: if the BMI is more than 25
It should be noted that the normal BMI varies between countries as there are differences in average body weight and height. For example, Asian people tend to be shorter compared to Europeans and Americans. In addition, body mass index often does not take into account fat mass or fat distribution in the body.
How to Achieve Ideal Body Weight for Men
Achieving an ideal body weight cannot be done overnight – it requires consistency. If you want to gain or lose weight, you can try the following:
- Start eating healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. To get adequate protein intake, you can eat fish, tofu, tempeh, and low-fat dairy products. Reduce consumption of foods that contain saturated fats such as cheese, high-fat milk, and processed meats. You can replace these foods with nuts, fish, and avocado.
- Control portion sizes. You may have the potential for obesity or other health problems if you do not control how much you eat. It is recommended that you calculate calories and nutrients in your meals before eating.
- Reduce sugary drinks and drink lots of mineral water. Drinking one glass of mineral water before eating can help you feel fuller – which will lower your desire to eat or snack. Not only that, mineral water also functions to meet your fluid needs that help prevent dehydration, constipation, and kidney stones. It is recommended that 6-8 glasses of water are consumed everyday. However, drink more water when you are sick or when you are exercising.
- Exercise regularly. Regular exercises of any type can maintain your overall health and fitness. Not only that, exercise can help you avoid various health problems and reach your ideal body weight. You can do light exercise such as cycling, swimming, morning walks, or working out at the gym. Do it at least 15-30 minutes every day.
All of the above must be done on a regular basis with great consistency. If you stick to a healthy regime, you will reach your ideal weight. Consult a doctor if you find it difficult to set your diet plan.
Manage Daily Caloric Intake
One of the keys to achieving an ideal body weight is by calculating your calorie intake every day. You can use a calorie calculator to do this. You can purchase it online or you can do the calculation yourself.
To carry out daily activities, our body needs calories that come from the foods or drinks that we consume. However, everyone has different calorie needs.
It is important to manage your calories. If you cannot control your caloric intake, you have a high potential for numerous serious health problems such as obesity, stroke or heart disease. On the other hand, you should make sure that you do not lack calories – as you might experience weakness, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, or gallstone problems.
One way to control your calorie levels is by learning how much calories your body requires. You can then determine what foods or drinks you should consume to meet your daily calorie needs. Make sure you do not exceed your calorie limit.
Choose The Right Exercise For You
There are many types of sports activities out there. However, you have to choose the right one for you in order to help you lose weight and stay in shape. The following are some exercises that you can do:
If you are dealing with obesity, cardio can be good for you. You will be able to see the changes in your body after a few months when you do cardio regularly. Do not push yourself when you are trying cardio for the first time.
Weight-lifting may burn less calories, but it will be good for you if you want to build a muscular, toned body shape. Before you lift weights, you must first know the function of each weight-lifting equipment. Train your chest, leg, and back muscles to burn calories more optimally.
Butterfly or freestyle are among the top of the calorie-burn list. When done right, butterfly style can burn around 450 calories per 30 minutes of swimming. Alternatives swimming styles include breaststroke and backstroke.
There are many other sports activities that you can try. You can also do all three as long as you avoid overexertion, maintain your nutritional intake, and get enough rest. It is important to remember that if you are not eating right, you are also slowing down the process of body-building and weight loss.