Prior to my private practice, I was the former Director of Urologic Oncology at the National University Hospital (NUH) and National Cancer Institute of Singapore (NCIS). I am currently Visiting Consultant at NUH.
I am trained in all aspects of open and endoscopic urology and specialise in the minimally invasive treatment of urologic cancers.
My particular interests are in laparoscopic and robotic-assisted surgery, particularly for the management of prostate and kidney cancer. My subspecialty interest is in the care of men with all stages of prostate cancer, especially in advanced prostate cancer diagnostics to reduce unnecessary prostate biopsies, and the performance of safer, more accurate prostate biopsies.
I was one of the first doctors to introduce free hand office based transperineal prostate biopsies into Singapore. Transperineal prostate biopsies are safer than the standard transrectal biopsies performed in most centres. My clinic is currently the only centre offering freehand transperineal MRI-guided targeted prostate biopsies in Singapore.
I was the principal investigator in the first study in South East Asia to validate the use of the Prostate Health Index test to better risk stratify men at risk of prostate cancer, reducing unnecessary prostate biopsies.
I am available for teleconsultation and second opinions for complex cancer-related and other urological conditions.
My experience includes:
- Graduated medical school at the National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2001
- Postgraduate surgical degrees from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2006, and Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in 2011
- Masters in Surgery from National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2007
- Completed Advanced Specialty Training at NUH
- College of Surgeons Gold Medal from the Academy of Medicine Singapore, awarded to the top Advanced Urological Trainee
- Completed my fellowship in Urologic Oncology and Laparoscopic and Tele-Robotic Urologic Surgery at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in Australia in 2013
Learn more about Gleneagles Hospital here: https://www.smarterhealth.my/hospital/gleneagles-hospital-singapore/
Learn more about me here: https://www.smarterhealth.my/specialist-doctor/lincoln-tan/
I am excited to be here to share/discuss Urological Health with everyone. Ask me anything!
Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
Thank you for your help, Doc.